NORTH AVENUE CLOSED AT LEMON GROVE AVENUE UNTIL OCTOBER 2017. EXPECT DELAYS.
- HEADING EAST: exit College Avenue or Massachusetts Avenue
- HEADING WEST: exit Spring Street or Massachusetts Avenue
Month of June: A new water line was installed under North Avenue and is currently being tested by Helix Water District. The base material and asphalt have been placed in the south half of the Caltrans off-ramp as well the new Lemon Grove Avenue Realignment.
Month of April and May: The contractor has installed new curb and gutter along North Avenue and along the new Lemon Grove Avenue realignment. The contractor is also in the process of installing a bioswale around the perimeter of the project which will soon be backfilled with gravel and vegetation.
Month of February and March: The contractor continues to work on minor grading as well as building and installing a storm drain box near SR 94. SDG&E was on site to relocate their power poles along North Avenue.
Month of January: The site remains too wet and muddy to place material. With another storm approaching, construction will slow until the ground dries up.
Month of December: Demolition of the northern area of the site took place on December 7 - 9, 2016. Rain delayed work for a good part of the month.
Month of November: A storm drain was installed and import material was placed to raise the elevation of the site in order to construct the roadway to the elevation per the plans.
Week of October 24: The grading operation continues. The contractor has placed all the soil from the existing stockpile and will soon import new soil to continue constructing the embankment.
Week of September 26: Starting this week and lasting the next two to three weeks, the contractor will be constructing a soil embankment that will pave they way for the realigned Lemon Grove Avenue on and off ramp.
Week of September 19: The contractor will start moving the soil stock pile and begin demolishing the concrete pads and remove the vegetation.
Week of September 12: The construction crew will be installing a 10" sewer pipe under North Avenue. In addition, they will be placing a new manhole near the trolley tracks.
Highlights of the Groundbreaking Ceremony on September 8, 2016
After thoughtful engineering and planning, the long-awaited Lemon Grove Avenue Realignment project is breaking ground at the end of August.
Designed as a traffic safety and congestion relief project, the Lemon Grove Avenue Realignment project will realign the off ramp from State Route 94 leading directly to North Avenue. Additionally, motorists will see more travel lanes and have the option the avoid crossing the trolley tracks that run parallel to Lemon Grove Avenue.
The project was awarded to West Coast General Corporation on June 21, 2016 with a budget not to exceed $6,310,300 with much of the project funded through grants. Construction is scheduled to last about 12 months. Drivers may experience delays while construction is underway; we ask for your patience as this long-awaited project is under construction. For questions about the project, please contact the Engineering Department at 619-825-3811.
Some of the features of the Realignment design:
- Pedestrian Accessibility: New sidewalks will create a clear, easy path between the Trolley, the Promenade, and North Avenue.
- Traffic Signal Efficiency: The traffic and trolley signals will “talk” to each other to help keep traffic moving safely with less waiting.
- Water Efficient Landscape: Drought-tolerant plants will be used to save water and to keep costs low for ongoing maintenance.
- Improved Stormwater Treatment: Rainwater will be captured to water new trees and reduce irrigation costs. Some runoff will be filtered through a grass-lined ditch to remove street pollutants.
- Undergrounding of Power Lines: All the overhead power lines will be put underground.